Invalid Operation: Trying to update an attribute in Live, which is not allowed
Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: Invalid Operation: Trying to update an attribute in Live, which is not allowedDetail:
How and When Problem Occurs
First of all, I am going to make a note that it’s NOT a bug in Microsoft Dynamic CRM.
The exception message flashes when by any mean we try to update any out of the box report in Microsoft Dynamic CRM online.
The reason being Dynamic CRM online does not permit or allow to have an access to SQL Server. All out of the box reports cannot be edited and updated back to dynamic CRM online.
The problem may occurs due to
- When we try to import a solution, which has any out of the box report.
- When we try to overwrite any out of the box report, directly from Report edit wizards.
Things to note
Microsoft Dynamic CRM Online only support SSRS (.rdl) with Data source created using fetch data provider. So, in visual studio when selecting report project, we need to select type in data source as
If you are not getting Microsoft Dynamic CRM Fetch option then you need to install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Report Authoring Extension (with SQL Server Data Tools support).
- There are 25 out of the box reports which come default with vanilla CRM in an online Microsoft Dynamic CRM 2016 version.
- There are sub reports also which are part of these report.
- An example of a Report and a sub report is Campaign Performance. We can list all report by changing the view.